I learned this recipe from my mother-in-law’s cook, Olive. Olive has long left my mother-in-law’s house but I still remember her because of this recipe. I had to go through some trial and error before I got the recipe right since she didn’t measure anything when she cooked this. As with most of the recipes that I share, this is pretty easy to make and perfect for the home cook. Please enjoy this with hot rice or noodles.
2 kilos of Beef cubes (trim most of the fat from the meat cut into 2 inch cubes)
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/8 oyster sauce
1 TBSP Calamansi Juice
Olive Oil for sautéing (use sparingly as beef releases more oil)
1 tomato diced
3 red onions sliced
1 head garlic crushed
1 slice of ginger
3 red Chili Labuyo sliced
1. Marinate the beef cubes in soy sauce, oyster sauce and calamansi juice for atleast 15 minutes.
2. Sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger.
3. Add in the tomatoes.
4. Add in the beef to sear it. Set aside the rest of the marinade.
5. Transfer to a pressure cooker with the marinade. Add in 2 cups of water. Cook in the pressure cooker until semi-soft that it still keeps it’s shape.
6. Strain meat from the sauce.
7. In a pan, sauté 1/2 head of garlic and the sliced chili labuyo. Add in the beef. Let this sweat for 2 minutes.
8. Slowly add in the sauce. 2 ladles at a time. The sauce will get sticky. It shouldn’t be very saucy.
9. Enjoy with hot rice!