This recipe began when I was away at college and missing the taste of my favorite baked spaghetti from the high school cafeteria! Over the years, this recipe has evolved into what it is today. This a favorite for potlucks and keeps well in the fridge. It keeps even longer if frozen. I usually make a big batch of this and portion it for quick meals and send some to my mother-in-law who loves this. I hope you enjoy making this!
450 grams Spaghetti Noodles Boiled until al dente
400 grams Ground Beef
2 Onions minced
1/2 head Garlic minced
1 tomato diced
2 TBSP Fresh Pesto Sauce
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Thyme
3 cups tomato sauce
2 TBSPS Extra Virgin Olive oil
2 red hotdogs sliced thinly (Optional)
3 TBSP white Sugar
Salt and Pepper
3 slices Natural Gouda Cheese
3 slices Natural Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup grated Quickmelt Cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
3 TBSPS Butter
3 TBSPS Flour
1 Liter Fresh Milk
3 dashes of Nutmeg
Salt and Pepper to taste
GARLIC BREADCRUMB TOPPING
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tsp Garlic Salt
I like to use a wok to make the sauce instead of cooking it in a deep pot. I find that it cooks faster and makes it easier for me to mix in the cooked noodles.
1. In medium high heat, use extra virgin Olive oil to sauté onions until almost translucent. Add in the garlic, then the diced tomato.
2. Add in the ground beef and cook until the beef is no longer pink.
3. Add in the sliced hotdogs. You can opt not to add this for those with an aversion to hotdogs. I don’t eat hotdogs also but I find that it adds some umami to the sauce.
4. Add in the tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
5. Lower heat to a simmer when the tomato sauce starts to boil.
6. Add in the homemade pesto, Thyme, Oregano, salt, pepper and sugar. Let this simmer until well incorporated.
This is how the sauce should look when it’s done. Oily and gooey.
6. Add in the cooked spaghetti noodles to the sauce and mix well. Cook until 1/4 of the sauce have been absorbed by the noodles. Keep on mixing.
7. Transfer to a 9×13 inch baking dish. Set aside and make the Bechamel sauce (see recipe below).
8. Top with bechamel sauce.
9. Top with cheese slices then the grated cheese. Lastly, sprinkle the Garlic breadcrumb topping on top (see recipe at the bottom).
10. Bake covered at 375 degrees for 20 minutes then 10 minutes uncovered. Or you can broil it for 5 minutes or until the cheese browns.
11. Enjoy with chili oil and some garlic bread.
1. Melt butter in medium heat.
2. Whisk in the flour until it looks like this.
3. Add in the milk and stir until it is well incorporated, not lumpy and the sauce is thick.
4. Turn off the heat. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
GARLIC BREADCRUMB TOPPING
In a bowl, mix breadcrumbs, extra virgin olive oil, and garlic salt together.
4 thoughts on “Four Cheese Crusted Baked Spaghetti”
If it tastes just as half as it looks, it will be a hit. Thanks for the recipe.
Let me know how it goes! 😉
This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try this recipe out on my family!
Thank you 😊