This is the best Adobo recipe that you need in your arsenal of stew recipes. Super good with steaming hot rice. The secret is to double sear the meat! Gives it more flavor.
• 1.5 Kilos Country Style Pork Belly cut into 2-inch squares
• 1/2 cup soy sauce
• 1/8 cup white vinegar
• 1 1/2 TBSP brown Sugar
• 1 1/2 TBSP whole peppercorn
• 1 head crushed and peeled garlic for marinade
• 2 bay leaves
• 1/4 cup achuete oil
Achuete Oil Recipe
• 1/4 cup annatto seeds
•1/4 cup water
•1/3 cup canola/ vegetable oil
In a pot, boil annatto seeds and water. Turn off as soon as it boils. Add in the canola oil. Mix well until the liquid turns red. Strain the seeds and discard.
1. Marinate the pork belly in soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, peppercorn, garlic, bay leaves for at least 1 hour.
2. Using medium high heat, sear the marinated meat in 1/4 cup achuete oil. Set aside.
3. Put the seared meat back into the pot. Add in the rest of the marinade. Then add enough water to cover the meat.
4. Bring this to a boil then lower the heat. Cook semi-covered for 1 hour. You can add more water if your meat isn’t soft after an hour. You can also use a pressure cooker or slow cooker for this. Meat is ready when it can be cut easily with a fork.
5. Strain the meat from the sauce. Use a non stick pan, sear the cooked meat for the 2nd time.
6. When all the meat has been seared, return back to the pan and slowly add in the sauce. When the sauce has reduced to half, it’s done ✅