The boys like racing folded paper boats when they’re swimming in the inflatable pool. I thought making sailboats to race would be fun for a change.
• Board Paper (not the very thick one, use the bendable kind)
• Aluminum Foil
• Paper cutter or utility knife
• Wooden Coffee stirrer sticks (lighter than popsicle sticks, you can use barbecue sticks if you can’t find these)
• Inflatable pool or basin for racing the boats
1. Begin by making the sail. Fold the paper in half twice.
2. Draw a sail shape.
3. Cut out the shape. You should have 4 pieces.
4. Decorate both sides with crayons.
5. Assemble the sail by making 2 small cuts with your paper cutter.
6. Put the wooden coffee stirrers through the holes.
They will look like these.
7. Make the boat using aluminum foil. Bunch it up, crumple it, let the kids design their own boat shape and attach the sail to it. The boys just bunched up some foil around the stick to keep it upright.
8. Test their designs by racing and floating them! Guess whose sailboat was the best?