This is my husbands ultimate favorite sandwich. We used to drive 2 hours to Rockwell just to eat this.
I hate getting stuck in traffic so I decided to make my own. Many revisions later, this is the recipe I use when he requests for cheesesteak.
This recipe makes 6 sandwiches or 5 overloaded ones.
• 500g Ribeye Beef sukiyaki cut cut into strips (I use Australian or New Zealand Ribeye beef since it’s softer than the local brand.)
• 2 big white onions / 4 medium red onions sliced into circles (I’ve used both and they still taste good. Use whatever you have at home.)
• 2 TBSP Olive oil
• 1 TBSP Light soy sauce
• 1 tsp Garlic Salt
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• Cheese (I use natural cheddar. But you can also use provolone or any cheese you prefer.)
• Potato hotdog buns (I got mine from our favorite burger place, Hackensack Burgers. You can also use French bread if you can’t find potato buns.)
• Chili flakes (optional)
• Aluminum foil
1. Use medium high heat to caramelize the onions in olive oil.
2. Once the onions are caramelized, add in the beef. Stir to coat the meat in the onion oil and juices.
3. Don’t wait for the meat to fully cook before seasoning with garlic salt, light soy sauce, salt and pepper. REMEMBER: The meat cooks pretty fast. Do not overcook. It should be juicy not dry.
4. Don’t leave the meat in the pan as it tends to get dry and overcooked even if you turn off the heat. Trust me on this. TRANSFER it to a bowl and set aside.
5. Prepare the foil.
6. Cut the bread and leave just enough to keep them together.
7. Toast the bread in melted butter.
8. Add mayonnaise generously.
9. Make a boat for the sandwich using the aluminum foil. I like doing it like this to make sure the juices from the steak do not spill out. It’s less messy too! The aluminum foil protects the bread from burning when you broil the sandwich in the oven or turbo oven.
10. Add in the steak.
11. Top with cheese. I like cutting the cheese into triangles to fit neatly on top of the sandwich.
12. Broil in oven or turbo oven at 450F/250C until cheese melts. Eat immediately. Serve with chili flakes.